Have you ever struggled to find the perfect rug to fit an area in your home? Have you been to what feels like hundreds of carpet & rug shops or decorating stores and all you came away with was sore feet and enough frustration to start you drinking?
Here’s an idea, why don’t you make your own? It’s way cheaper than rehab, I can guarantee you that. That is what this lovely lady at Design Share did.
Laura Hayestone has several different DIY methods of making her floor cloths, which she shares on her blog, here is the one I found that sounds the easiest. All her methods are really simple, all you need are imagination, and a little time on your hands; but it’s summer holidays so there’s plenty of that hanging around.
What you need:
- Heavy duty pre-primed canvas (Laura used 12oz)
- Acrylic Paints in your choice of colours
- Paint brushes
- Glue gun
1. Here is a close up of the texture of the pre-primed canvas.
2. Your first step, decide what design you want. Laura used a simple graphic design stencil, which you can easily do yourself. She chose a chevron pattern that is really hot in fashion right now.
3. Trace out your design or stencil with a pencil and make sure you can see the design once you are done.
4. Begin painting or filling in your stencil markings. Depending on the design you choose you might need a steady hand.
5. Fold and iron down the edges on the cotton setting to make a seam and neaten the edges. Then simply get your glue gun out and glue the edges down.
6. You will end up with lovely neat edges that won’t stick up when you are using your floor cloth.
7. Et voila! your finished floor cloth
Thanks to Laura for her brilliant economically friendly project………….this is definitely going on my to do list.
Fantastic Floorcloths You Can Paint in a Day from Amazon.